About the Program
Pre-Employment Transition Services (Pre-ETS) is a a program designed to provide in-school youth with disabilities industry-based career exploration.
- Finding Your Future (Part I) – A group in which students explore different careers, participate in activities that build soft skills and prepare them for the world of work, practice their self-advocacy skills, learn more about postsecondary education and training options, and meet with employers to find out more about fields of interest.
- Finding Your Future (Part II)– Students a deeper look into some of the topics covered in Part I during this group. Activities include creating an elevator speech, completing a draft resume, and answering common interview questions through role plays.
- Work Based Learning Experiences – Short term experiences that include informational interviews, tours, and shadowing at local businesses of interest to the student.
- Work Experiences – Students gain real world work experience through jobs and internships at local business of interest lasting 3-8 weeks. Skills trainers provide services to help the student learn tasks and succeed in the position.
- Students with disabilities ages 16 to 22
- Students connected to DARS and are eligible for Pre-ETS with ServiceSource.
Students with disabilities who are ages 14-15 are also eligible for Pre-ETS through DARS.
Feedback from Participants and Family Members
- “My daughter is so thoroughly enjoying the Pre-ETS class! I’m sitting outside the classroom and her seat is near the door so I can hear her every once in a while. She’s participating and has made a friend.” – Mother
- “I thought this class would be boring, but it has actually been a lot of fun.” – Pre-ETS Student
- “I LOVE these lessons and activities. I have been getting feedback from the teachers and they find the lessons and activities to be very valuable.” – School Employment and Transition Representative (ERT)
- Contact your DARS counselor and tell them you are interested in Pre-ETS services.
- Not sure how to connect with DARS? Contact ServiceSource’s Employment Transition Specialist at 703-223-9331.