About the Program
ServiceSource has a talented team of Employment Development Specialists who work closely with program participants to explore careers as well as obtain and maintain valued employment in the community. ServiceSource has the resources to ensure that the placements are successful for both the individual and the employer. Through our job placement services, individuals receive:
- Situational Assessments: On-site, hands on work experience in a career field in which the individual has expressed interest.
- Job Development: Assistance with finding job leads, developing resumes and applications and interviewing. Staff may also provide advocacy and employer education if necessary.
- Job Coaching: Extra support with training and settling in to a new job environment. Job coaches can provide on the job training for the employee and education for the employer.
- Follow-Along Services: Periodic visits may help some people maintain employment and deal with any issues that arise.
- Travel Training: Navigating the public transportation system in the DC metro area can be difficult. Our staff help individuals identify and learn the most convenient route to and from work, as well as how to deal with travel disruptions.
- Community Support Services: Skill-building in a variety of areas that may impact employment such as soft skills, transportation, organization and planning, self-care, and other key life skills
- Customized Employment: A unique and evidence-based approach to finding and keeping employment that involves discovery (learning about the individual and their strengths in their home and community environment); employer networking and developing a match between the employer’s business needs and the job seeker’s strengths and interests; and, once employment is obtained, supports are provided for both the individual and their workplace trainer.
- Supported Education: Some of our funding partners authorize supported education for individuals interested in support to seek, apply for, and complete training and education after high school.
Job Placement Partners
ServiceSource supports community job placement in a variety of career fields from entry-level to professional. Job seekers we’ve worked with in the past have found employment at:
- Metropolitan Healthcare Services
- Harris Teeter
- Titan Hospitality
- Fairfax County Department of Vehicles
- American Red Cross
- Whole Foods
- Mod Pizza
- US Census Bureau
- Adams Hill Veterinary Hospital
- Frying Pan Farm Park
- Global Behavior Therapy Associates
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine
- Institute for Public Health Innovation
- CACI FDIC
- Woodmont Nursing Home
ServiceSource is an approved Employment Network (EN) through the Social Security Administration’s Ticket to Work Program and works to place individual ticket holders into jobs within their community.
Feedback from Participants and Family Members
- “My coach instilled so much positivity and faith in my potential and possibilities. He asked the right questions, helped me focus on my values and goals, and helped motivate me on path of action.”
- “I am very thankful for my job coach. She keeps me on track and helps teach me to hold myself accountable without any judgement or pressure.”
- “Our son’s Employment Specialist has made a significant impact. We see changes in our son’s behaviors and outlook. He’s much more positive, independent and engaged with the process. He researches jobs and applies to them without needing our assistance. He’s enthusiastic about his future and the job search and looks forward to reporting back to his counselor. The Employment Specialist has shown him how to work effectively at his job search and has given him great leads and encouragement. We’re all grateful beyond words for her help.”