Get Involved. Make a Difference.
Volunteers play a key role in ServiceSource by enhancing our programs, enriching the lives of the participants we serve and helping to create a more diverse and inclusive community.
To help ensure our quality and safety standards, we have a few requirements –
- We offer both episodic (12 hours or less) and long-term volunteer opportunities.
- If working directly with people we serve, all volunteers must be over the age of 18 and are required to go through a training orientation prior to coming on board.
- Under 18? You can still help! We have opportunities and events throughout the year that are perfect for high school students to get involved.
- We are happy to sign off on service hours for educational and civic requirements, however, we are unable to validate hours needed for court mandated volunteering.
If you meet our requirements and are interested in helping enhance the lives of people with disabilities, contact us today!
Director of Volunteer Services
- Reading Buddies – work with large groups or in a one to one environment, reading to adults who have a love of the written word.
- Gardening Volunteers – if you have a green thumb, we want it! Help our participants explore nature, plants, flowers, and herbs through projects, plantings and the farm to table experiences.
- Beauty and Grooming Groups – explore recent trends in fashion and media, create individual portfolios, participate in spa days and have fun experimenting with new styles!
- Sewing and Craft Groups – with the support of staff, create new projects around sewing, knitting and crafts for participants to discover their creative side and imaginations.
- Community Outings – assist staff on excursions to explore all the wonderful sites, landmarks, and educational activities that the area has to offer.
- Customized Opportunities – do you have a unique talent or interest? We would love to hear all about it and are eager to explore how we can fit your experience and gifts into our programs.
- Youth Opportunities – please contact us directly to explore the different possibilities we have to offer teens.
Ricardo Portocarrero has been a dedicated volunteer to ServiceSource since 2015. Every week, he visits our Springfield site and leads both a reading group and Spanish class, helping to teach the participants new and valuable skills. Ricardo also supports the staff by assisting with recreational and leisure activities, including expressive therapy sessions such as music and dance. During his time with us, Ricardo has given over 300 hours of service; helping to enhance our programs. In November of 2016, ServiceSource was proud to nominate Ricardo as the Volunteer of the Year Award recipient at the Annual Community Inclusion Award Ceremony for the Virginia Region. This was the first internal volunteer award for the newly launched Volunteer Department and Ricardo was the perfect person to represent everything the program values in service, leadership, and community inclusion.