Get Involved. Make a Difference.
Volunteers play a key role in ServiceSource by enhancing our programs, enriching the lives of the participants we serve and helping to create a more diverse and inclusive community.
To help ensure our quality and safety standards, we have a few requirements –
- We offer both episodic (12 hours or less) and long-term volunteer opportunities.
- If working directly with people we serve, all volunteers must be over the age of 18 and are required to go through a training orientation prior to coming on board.
- Under 18? You can still help! We have opportunities and events throughout the year that are perfect for high school students to get involved.
- We are happy to sign off on service hours for educational and civic requirements, however, we are unable to validate hours needed for court mandated volunteering.
If you meet our requirements and are interested in helping enhance the lives of people with disabilities, contact us today!
Director of Volunteer Services
- Reading Buddies – work with large groups or in a one to one environment, reading to adults who have a love of the written word.
- Gardening Volunteers – if you have a green thumb, we want it! Help our participants explore nature, plants, flowers, and herbs through projects, plantings and the farm to table experiences.
- Beauty and Grooming Groups – explore recent trends in fashion and media, create individual portfolios, participate in spa days and have fun experimenting with new styles!
- Sewing and Craft Groups – with the support of staff, create new projects around sewing, knitting and crafts for participants to discover their creative side and imaginations.
- Community Outings – assist staff on excursions to explore all the wonderful sites, landmarks, and educational activities that the area has to offer.
- Customized Opportunities – do you have a unique talent or interest? We would love to hear all about it and are eager to explore how we can fit your experience and gifts into our programs.
- Youth Opportunities – please contact us directly to explore the different possibilities we have to offer teens.
Congratulations Kathy McIlvain, Nominee for Volunteer Fairfax’s Volunteer Service Awards!
Kathy was nominated by ServiceSource for her outstanding commitment to person-centered development. Kathy leads weekly sewing classes at the Oakton Disability Resource Center, and recently connected ServiceSource participants to the Days for Girls Northern Virginia Chapter, where they volunteer to help create health management kits for girls in developing countries. She has given over 400 hours of service this year alone!
We are so grateful for Kathy’s dedication to people with disabilities and our mission.
ServiceSource Hosts Volunteer Appreciation Reception!
On May 9, ServiceSource hosted the annual Volunteer Appreciation Reception at our newly renovated South Springfield Community Integration Center. This year, the volunteers elected for the money that would have been used to throw a big recognition event instead be spent on fun items for participants to use on a daily basis. These awesome gifts include a giant Connect-4, a Skee-Ball machine, a two-player basketball hoop, and an electronic bowling alley. Volunteers were able to visit the South Springfield site to see these gifts in action. We are so appreciative of the time, effort, and care our volunteers give to people with disabilities through ServiceSource. You are integral in connecting us to the community.